Meeting Minutes – June 9, 2020
The Little Mountain Town Council met in regular session on Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at the Derrick Community Center. Present for the meeting were Mayor Jana Jayroe, Council Members Melvin Bowers, Marty Frick, Charles Shealy and Steve White. Also present was Tim Cornelison.
Mayor Jayroe welcomed everyone and called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm. Council Member Frick gave the invocation.
Council reviewed the meeting minutes of the May 2020. A motion was made by Shealy to accept the meeting as presented. Frick made a second to the motion and the motion carried 5—0.
Council reviewed the financial report of May 2020. After review, Frick motioned to accept the report as information. The motion was seconded by Shealy and carried 5—0.
Council Member Bowers motioned to open the public hearing for the second reading of the 2020-2021 Operating Budget. Shealy seconded the motion. No comments were received. Bowers motioned to approve the budget as presented, Shealy seconded, the motion carried 5-0.
Council welcomed Tim Cornelison to the meeting. Mr. Cornelison reviewed the findings of the 2018-2019 financial audit. Mr. Cornelison stated that he had a clean opinion of the towns audit. Mr. Cornelison also explained to council that due to changes in auditing requirements, our auditing system would be changing. Beginning with the 2019-20 audit, Mr. Cornelison will prepare the towns financial statements and the audit would be completed by McKinley, Cooper and Co, LLC from Greenville, SC. The council thanked Mr. Cornelison.
In other business:
- The town will hold a public hearing on the zoning issue for the Screaming Eagles tomorrow, June 10, 2020 at Reunion Park. Shealy will bring a public address system so that everyone can hear. Mayor Jayroe will remind everyone at the beginning of the meeting to practice social distancing. Council is waiting on information from the town attorney on questions regarding access to the property. Anyone wishing to speak will be asked to sign up at the beginning of the meeting. Jayroe will contact Anne Peters about attending.
- The Derrick Center Library will reopen on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning June 16. Leah Bush will be returning as the Library Manager and opening from 10 am to 4 pm. Council discussed requirements for visitors to the library including face masks for everyone over 2 years of age, and social distancing should be practiced. The library has disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer however, additional supplies will be needed going forward. The library will be closed on June 23rd for the primary run-off election. Leah will be asked to regularly wipe down surfaces and Kim will resume cleaning every two (2) weeks until the number of visitors to the library is determined.
- Council Member Shealy reported that he will be meeting with Mr. Johnson and Mr. Knight to look at sidewalks in town. The grant cycle for the sidewalk repair will begin in January.
- Council Member Frick reported that he had checked on the repair needed on the Section House floor. The repair is not serious, and he plans to repair it.
- The Section House is available for rent. Jayroe stated that it would be best suited for an office space. The town clerk will post information about the availability on the website.
- Council discussed rentals for Reunion Park. Rental requests are increasing. Council agreed to continue renting at this time. Restrooms will only be opened for renters.
- Council discussed the continuing issue of heavy traffic in town and the lack of regard for posted speed limits. Council Member White will research the purchase of solar powered speed monitors to increase traffic safety in town.
- Council Members also had numerous concerns from citizens regarding the recent election. Citizens’ voter registration cards were not correct, and many thought they were in one district but could not vote in that district. Frick contacted the Election Commission regarding the staggered district lines throughout town. The response was that following the census the lines will probably be changed.
With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:11 pm.
Respectfully submitted by: