March 2020 Meeting Minutes
The Little Mountain Town Council met in regular session on Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at the Derrick Community Center. Present for the meeting were Mayor Jana Jayroe, Council Members Melvin Bowers, Steve White, Charles Shealy and Marty Frick.
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm by Mayor Jayroe and she gave the invocation.
The February 2020 meeting minutes were reviewed. A motion to accept the minutes as presented was made by White and seconded by Shealy. The motion carried 5-0.
The financial report was reviewed by council. It was noted that the electrical at the community center was high. Council will install covers over the thermostats to maintain consistent temperatures. A motion to accept the report as information was made by Frick and seconded by White. The motion carried 5-0.
The following updates were given by Mayor Jayroe and discussed with Council:
- The Newberry County and Water Authority are in the process of obtaining right of way signatures for the new sewer line.
- Weather continues to be a hold up on completion of the lots being cleared at Reunion Park.
- The Derrick Center Library continues to receive book donations. The Library Managers are working on a summer reading program. The Mayor and Town Clerk will soon be meeting with the managers to discuss a Friends of the Library Program. Jayroe stated that some of the duplicate book donations etc. could be used for a Book Sale during the Reunion.
- The construction on the new storage spaces at Reunion Park are going well. Light switches will need to be installed outside of the buildings to ensure that the shelter lights can be used.
- Jayroe and Shealy met with Glenn Hamm and photos were taken of the sidewalk areas that need repair and/or replacements around town. The town will be working with someone on the County Transportation Committee to prepare the Sidewalk Grant.
- Everyone was reminded that the Reunion Committee will meet on March 12.
- Jayroe reported that the democratic primary voting went well.
- The BBQ Cookoff was held on March 7. There was a large crowd, and everything went well.
- Lawn Maintenance Contract are due by March 31. After some discussion, Council agree to meet prior to the April meeting to review the bids. The bid will be awarded at the April meeting.
- Shealy reported that he has requests for additional Eagle Scout projects.
- Council was reminded that SC Ethics Forms must be submitted online by March 30
- Council was reminded that the Ribbon Cutting and Open House for the Cotton Press will be held on March 21.
- Council discussed temporary signs along the roadside. The town clerk will post the sign ordinance on the website.
In new business:
- Mayor Jayroe stated that there is a potential new renter for the Section House. Prior to new renters there are some repairs that need to be made to the floor. White and Frick will look at the repair and ask MPI for a quote.
- Mayor Jayroe has been in contact with representatives from the SCDOT regarding the I-26 reconstruction and widening Project. After a brief discussion, a motion was made by White and seconded by Frick to allow Mayor Jayroe to conduct business on behalf of the Council regarding this matter.
- Council was reminded of the Governmental Association Meeting to be held in Pomaria on March 30. Jayroe, Shealy and Frick plan to attend.
- The Great American Clean Up will be held on March 13. The Derrick Community Center will be a pickup location for supplies.
With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:30.