Town of Little Mountain
Meeting Minutes- January 14, 2020
The Little Mountain Town Council met in regular session on Tuesday, January 14, 2020. Present for the meeting were Mayor Jana Jayroe, Council Members Marty Frick, Charles Shealy and Steve White. The meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm by Mayor Jayroe and Council Member Shealy gave the invocation.
Council reviewed the meeting minutes from the December 2019. A motion to accept by Frick to accept the minutes and seconded by Shealy. The motion carried 4-0.
The financial reported was reviewed. A motion to accept as information was made by Shealy and seconded by Frick. The motion carried 4-0.
Council welcomed Mr. Lee Tant and colleagues from Eau Claire Cooperative Health Center, a partner with the Newberry County Memorial Hospital to the meeting. Mr. Tant gave an overview of the services being offered at the Derrick Family Health Center.
Council discussed the following business:
- The Town Clerk has been in contact with Brent Richardson at the NCWSA. Per Mr. Richardson the expected cost of the tap at the center should be no more than a regular residential tap. Cindy has called Kevin Shealy to work with NCWSA to determine where the current sewer line at the center is and hopefully it will be in an accessible area for the new line.
- Clearing on the new lots at Reunion Park is not complete. Council Member White commented that there are several piles of debris that must be removed. It is estimated that another 4 to 5 days would be needed to complete. Council talked about hauling and/or burning some of the debris. Frick made the motion to have debris pushed into a pile for burning and then what could not be burnt to have it removed, not to exceed $7200. The motion was seconded by Shealy and the motion carried 4-0.
- A library Grand Opening will be held on January 25 at 12 noon. The new library managers Tabatha Adams and Leah Bush will be there to greet guests. Refreshments will be served. Jayroe stated that the state library is sending books. Marty will purchase some additional shelving. Cindy will get new signage for the doors. Blinds for the windows was discussed. After some discussion, a motion was made by Shealy and seconded by Frick to get a bid for blinds and use money from the library account to pay for the blinds. The motion carried 4-0. Jayroe has arranged to have the building deep cleaned and for a vendor to begin regular weekly cleaning.
- Council Members discussed the storage area at Reunion Park. A bid received for the addition of storage to the shelter at Reunion Park is $9530. One additional bid was received which was $450 less. No action was taken.
- White, Shealy and Frick will be working together on the grant for repair and improvements to sidewalks. Central Midlands is available to assist municipalities through the grant process which can be very tedious. White has reached out to Karen Livingston at the Town of Prosperity.
- Council discussed the lawn maintenance contract. For 2020 the ballfield and the sidewalk on Mountain Street will be added. A motion was made by Shealy and seconded by Frick to approve the second year of the current contract. The motion was approved.
- The town clerk has spoken with the election commission regarding the need for poll workers. They are enough for the primary. However, anyone that is still interested in the general election in November is encouraged to contact Brenda Fulmer.
- Council Member Shealy briefly discussed the BBQ Cookoff which is scheduled for March 7.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:55.
Respectfully submitted by:
Cindy Farr, Town Clerk