Town of Little Mountain
Meeting Minutes – June 11, 2019
The Little Mountain Town Council met in regular session on Tuesday, June 11, 2019. Present for the meeting were Mayor Jana Jayroe, Council Members Charles Shealy and Melvin Bowers.
Mayor Jayroe called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm and welcomed everyone to the meeting. Shealy gave the invocation.
Council reviewed the meeting minutes of May 2019. A motion was made by Shealy and seconded by Bowers to accept the minutes as presented. Motion carried.
The financial report was presented. Council Member Shealy motioned to accept the report as information. The motion was seconded by Bowers. Motion carried.
Council Member Bowers motioned to hold the second reading of the 2019-2020 General Operating Budget. No public was present for a public hearing. A second to the motion was made by Shealy. The motion carried.
In old business:
- There is no further news on the status of the sewer line.
- All the furniture for the community center has been received. Mayor Jayroe asked for a date to begin putting the pieces together. Members present agreed to meet on Tuesday, July 2 at 6 pm.
- Mayor Jayroe has emailed the installers of the computers. A date will be set to receive training for setting passwords etc.
- A smart tv has been purchased for the conference room at the community center. It will also be installed.
- The printer/fax/copier will be installed and set up.
- Mayor Jayroe indicated that she had not heard from the NCCOA.
- A movie in the park has been rescheduled until October 5.
- The town clerk will contact Whitaker Floor Covering for a contact to clean the floors in the old section of the center.
- The town clerk will contact Clarke’s Termite Service to get an estimate on the cost of fixing the Section House floors.
- Mayor Jayroe will call the Election Commission to be placed on the August agenda.
- Mayor Jayroe has emailed Anne Peters to look at the sign on Hwy 76 and Wheeland Road.
- Bowers’ Lawn Care has started trimming and pine straw in town.
- The Comet Transportation signs are up. According to Mayor Jayroe the route is going down Highway 76.
Council reviewed the current user responsibilities and fees schedule for facilities operated by the town. After some discussion, a motion was made by Shealy to leave all the current property fees as is. The community center fee schedule would require a deposit of $75 and a rental fee of $125 for the first three (3) hours. Additional hours beyond three would be at the rate of $75 per hour. The community center would be limited to business and civic/community type functions only. There will be no alcohol served or sold at the center. Bowers seconded the motion. The motion carried. The town clerk will revise the form and council will review at the July meeting.
In other business:
- We are continuing to look for someone for painting the Section House.
- The reunion committee is meeting twice monthly. The next meeting is June 27.
- It was noted that there is extensive damage to the sidewalk on Mill Street behind Transfer Point where the dumpster is located. Mayor Jayroe will follow up to see if the town can apply for a possible grant through DOT for repairs.
- It was also noted that the storm drain covers throughout Reunion Park are clogged or in some cases knocked off the base. These will be placed on the list of needed repairs prior to the Reunion.
- Bowers noted that the speed once again needs to be monitor on Mountain Street.
- Council members talked with members of the DFGS regarding an agreement for volunteering at the center and the building usage. No action was taken.
- Council is preparing to host the Governmental Association Meeting on July 29. The town clerk will get possible menus and pricing from food vendors. Jayroe is working on a speaker for the program.
Members of the DFGS reported that they have received more donations for the library project. They have also ordered 200 brochures for placement at South Carolina Welcome Centers.
With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:34 pm.
Respectfully submitted by: