Town of Little Mountain
Meeting Minutes – October 9, 2018
The Little Mountain Town Council met in regular session on Tuesday, October 9, 2018. Present for the meeting were Mayor Jana Jayroe, Council Members Jeff Jefcoat, Marty Frick, Charles Shealy and Melvin Bowers. Mayor Jayroe called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm and Frick gave the invocation.
Council reviewed the meeting minutes of September 18, 2018. A motion to accept the minutes was made by Jefcoat and seconded by Frick. The motion carried. Council reviewed the meeting minutes of September 27, 2018. A motion to accept the minutes was made by Shealy and seconded by Jefcoat. The motion carried.
Council reviewed the financial report for September 2018. A motion to accept the report as information was made by Jefcoat and seconded by Frick. The motion carried.
Mayor Jayroe welcomed members of the Little Mountain Fire and Rescue and Anna McCollum and crew of LifeNetSC to the meeting. LifeNet SC is housed in Irmo, SC. It is planned that for the next two months; the helicopter ambulance service will use the Little Mountain Fire and Rescue building as a home base from 9 am to 6 pm daily. During that time the service will be collecting data in hopes of providing rural emergency medicine to the area. Ms. McCollum would like to invite the community to meet the crew and see the helicopter. A brief discussion of the services provided was held. Mayor Jayroe commented that following the two-month trial run, a public hearing would be held to get feedback from the community.
In other business:
- The Community Center/Library is on schedule to be completed before the end of November. Jayroe stated that the town would be responsible for furnishing the center with computer desks, etc. It is hoped that there will be monies remaining from the construction to also repaint and perhaps get new flooring in the existing areas of the building. Jayroe commented that the NCCOA has requested a freezer and food warmer.
- Mayor Jayroe has submitted the grant for the Reunion Park Master Plan. The plan would include GPS mapping, public input session, a long-term plan for improvements and future growth.
- Council discussed gates for Rocky Branch. Shealy received a bid of $5400 for steel gates to install. Council discussed the bid and asked Shealy to contact the bidder for another proposal that would be less than $5000. Frick stated that he thought security cameras would be needed in conjunction with the gates. Frick has posted signs for daylight use only at the trail head. Jayroe said that property owners go through the trail head to get to their property. She said that Council would need to discuss access for them. Council also discussed having the additional surface material spread on the trail. A motion was made by Frick to have Shealy move forward on the gates if a bid of less than $5000 was made. The motion was seconded by Bowers and the motion carried 5-0.
- Jeffcoat reported that the town was in good standing at present with all the street lights.
- Mayor Jayroe reminded everyone of the election on November 6. The clerk will send reminders to candidates that need to file ethics forms.
- Mayor Jayroe stated that she had not heard any additional information about the SCDOT widening of Interstate 26. There is a final draft of the project posted online.
- Jayroe announced that COMET Bus Transportation will be a route from Columbia to Newberry in May 2019. The bus will stop in Ballentine, Chapin and Little Mountain. The route needs to average 10 riders per day to make it sustainable.
- Shealy stated that Bowers Lawn Service had been in touch with him and requested to spray herbicide where pine straw has been placed to aid with weeds. Council agreed with the spraying based on Bowers’ recommendation.
- Council reviewed the calendar and set the date for the annual Christmas Drop- In on Sunday, December 9 from 2 – 4- pm. The event will be held at the community center/library since construction should be completed at that time.
With no further business, Council adjourned at 7:38 pm. The next meeting is scheduled for November 13, 2018.
Respectfully submitted by: