August 2017 Meeting Minutes
The Little Mountain Town Council met in regular session on Tuesday, August 8, 2017. Present for the meeting was Mayor Jana Jayroe, Council Members Marty Frick, Charles Shealy, Jeff Jefcoat and Melvin Bowers.
The meeting was called to order at 6:33 pm by Mayor Jayroe and the invocation was given by Jefcoat.
Council reviewed the meeting minutes of July 2017. A motion to accept the minutes was made by Bowers and seconded by Shealy. The motion carried 5-0.
The financial report for July 2017 was reviewed. A motion to accept the report as information was made by Jefcoat and seconded by Frick. The motion carried 5-0.
Mayor Jayroe and Council reflected on the Reunion which was held August 4 and 5. Comments from the public were positive. Mayor Jayroe expressed thanks to Governor McMaster for visiting and to Jacob Shealy for improvements to the park as a part of his Eagle Scout project. Frick indicated that the vendors appeared to be happy with the crowds and sales. Jefcoat added the weather was perfect. Other comments included that the electrical upgrades to the park were beneficial, all the bbq was sold, the entertainment and parade were both great! Mayor Jayroe also thanked the Newberry Observer for their coverage of the event.
In other business:
- There is no news on the Penny Tax Project.
- The Section House will be vacant October 1.
- The prayer shawl group is interested in using the Section House. Council agreed to meet in an Executive Session to discuss future uses for the Section House.
- The County has indicated that they are ready to place signs on the ball field. Once the signs are posted, teams will call the town clerk to schedule. There was some discussion about developing a recreation committee to manage events and facilities in the future. No action was taken.
- There is no news on the lawn maintenance contract. The town will continue to use the current company on a month to month basis. Shealy recommended having the contract in place by December 31st for next season.
- Projects need to be completed at Rocky Branch. Frick will contact Nature’s Edge. More surface material is needed. To date the surface material was donated but council agreed that if the material was not available for donation then it should be purchased in order to complete the job. Signs that need to be posted at the trail are at the Mayor’s office. Shealy indicated that he and Mrs. Shealy were going to plant the entryway into the trail in the fall.
Council discussed having a special called meeting in August 29 for an Executive Session to discuss a contractual and personnel issue. The meeting will be held at 6:30 pm at LM town Hall.
With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:34 pm.
Respectfully submitted by